618 Ninth Street NW, Washington, DC.
Behind that ‘65 notchback Mustang, structural glass Art Deco shop front, and afterthought of a fire escape there is a beautifully detailed yet unassuming Romanesque Revival building. Witness the exquisite Byzantine style stone capitals that demarcate the springing points of window arches that carry terracotta lion’s head keystones above which bullnose brick is employed to give the appearance of fluted pilasters… and all of it capped off with a Jacobethan parapet. Damn! They really knew how to build things to titillate the eye back then. 618 Ninth Street was built around 1890 and is seen photographed here by HABS photographer Ronald Comedy in July 1969. The building was razed in 1973 and the site is currently occupied by the Gallup Building (which, incidentally, has an arched window above its entryway, paying accidental homage to its Romanesque forebear).