Old Kingsbridge Bus Depot, New York, New York.
In the mid-nineteenth century a group of investors established the Third Avenue Railroad Company and began offering horse-drawn street car service from City Hall to 61st Street in Manhattan. After some success, the company built this handsome Roman Renaissance car house in 1897 to accommodate its expansion northward. The building housed and serviced electric cable cars until 1948 when the transfer table and tracks were removed and the structure converted to a bus depot. The depot is shown here from its 10th Avenue facade with the elevated tracks of the 7th Avenue Subway Line, making this micro-history of New York’s public transit system complete. The Old Kingsbridge Depot was torn down sometime after 1991 when this photograph was taken to make room for new bus maintenance and storage facilities.